|About the author:
||T.I. Krytskyy, N.V. Pasyechko
|Type of article
||The purpose of this study was to compare hormonal, anthropometric and metabolic parameters in men with hypothyroidism. Totally 60 males with primary hypothyroidism were studied. It has been established that hypothyroidism is accompanied by an increase in serum concentrations of cholesterol and low density lipoprotein when compared with the control group (25 men without hypothyroidism) and indicating metabolic disturbance. Our results have been shown the significant effect of hypothyroidism on testosterone and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) serum concentration, but not on luteinizing hormone and estradiol levels. Patients with hypothyroidism had lower circulating testosterone and higher FSH level in comparison with the control group. The reproductive hormone changed in men with hypothyroidism which can result in deleterious effects on sexual functions including erectile dysfunction, reduced libido and alteration in spermatogenesis.
||hypothyroidism, reproductive hormones, testosterone, metabolic status, men
- Aggerholm A.S., Thulstrup A.M., Toft G., Ramlau-Hansen C.H., Bonde J.P. Is overweight a risk factor for reduced semen quality and altered serum sex hormone profile? Fertil Steril 2008; 90: 619–626.
- Ajayi AF, Akhigbe RE, Ajayi LO. Hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis in thyroid dysfunction. West Indian Med J. 2013;62:835–838.
- Jensen TK, Andersson AM, Jørgensen N, Andersen AG, Carlsen E, Petersen JH, Skakkebaek NE. Body mass index in relation to semen quality and reproductive hormones among 1,558 Danish men. Fertil Steril 2004; 82:863–870.
- Krajewska-Kulak E, Sengupta P. Thyroid Function in Male Infertility. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2013; 4:174.
- Krassas GE, Papadopoulou F, Tziomalos K, Zeginiadou T, Pontikides N. Hypothyroidism has an adverse effect on human spermatogenesis: A prospective, controlled study. Thyroid. 2008; 18:1255–1259.
- Krassas GE, Poppe K, Glinoer D. Thyroid function and human reproductive health. Endocr Rev. 2010; 31:702–755.
- Livingston M, Kalansooriya A, Hartland AJ, Ramachandran S, Heald A. Serum testosterone levels in male hypogonadism: Why and when to check – A review. Int J Clin Pract. 2017; 71(11): e12995.
- Nieschlag E, Simoni M, Gromoll J, Weinbauer GF. Role of FSH in the regulation of spermatogenesis: clinical aspects. Clin Endocrinol. 1999;51:139–146.
- Rambhatla A, Mills JN, Rajfer J. The Role of Estrogen Modulators in Male Hypogonadism and Infertility. Rev Urol. 2016;18(2): 66-72.
- Singh R, Hamadaa AJ, Agarwal A. Thyroid hormones in male reproduction and fertility. Open Reprod Sci J. 2011;3:98–104.
- Verma I, Sood R, Juneja S, Kaur S. Prevalence of hypothyroidism in infertile women and evaluation of response of treatment for hypothyroidism on infertility. International Journal of Applied and Basic Medical Research. 2012;2(1):17–19.
- Voloshyna L, Doholich О, Sithinska I. Hypothyroidism – a special comorbidity factor in patients with osteoarthrosis: clinical, pathophysiological and prognostic aspects. Georgian Med News. 2017;(272):53-59.
- Wagner MS, Wajner SM, Maia AL. The role of thyroid hormone in testicular development and function. J Endocrinol. 2008; 199:351–365.
|Publication of the article
||«World of Medicine and Biology» №4(66), 2018 year, 164-167 pages, index UDK 616.441-008.64:616.693/.694