|About the author:
||Nikiforova O.S., Delva M.Yu.
|Type of article
||Nowadays, it has been found that abdominal obesity (AO) can modify migraine clinical course. The purpose of the work was to study and to assess migraine prodrome characteristics in abdominally obese patients with episodic and chronic migraine. There were 96 episodic and chronic migraineurs examined with normal body weight and AO. Data were collected using structured questionnaires. In 76 cases (78.5%) migraine prodrome had been reported. Abdominally obese patients compared to normal body weight migraineurs had a higher rate of prodromal symptoms (83% vs. 75%) and experienced statistically higher mean number of prodromal symptoms per patient (4.0 (4.0-6.0) vs 6.0 (5.4-7.0). p<0.05). Abdominally obese migraine patients had increased risk of premonitory «hunger» (OR, 7.4; 95% CI, 2.2-25.2; p<0.01) as well as premonitory «food craving» (OR, 9.2; 95% CI, 2.7-31.3; p<0.01). Presence in abdominally obese migraineurs such prodromal signs as «hunger» and «food craving» were associated with increased risk of cutaneous allodynia – OR 6.0 (СІ, 1.2-30.6; p=0.03) and OR 7.4 (СІ, 1.3-43.0; p=0.01), respectively. In abdominally obese migraineurs intensities of prodromal eating behavior disorders had direct correlations with severity of cutaneous allodynia and migraine headache. AO is associated with statistically more frequent hunger feeling and food craving as prodromal signs. Presence and severity in abdominally obese migraineurs prodromal hunger feeling and food craving are associated with increased risk of cutaneous allodynia. In abdominally obese migraineurs intensities of prodromal eating behavior disorders had direct correlations with severities of allodynia and migraine pain.
||migraine, prodrome, abdominal obesity
- Kaydashev IP. Izmeneniye obraza zhizni, narusheniye energeticheskogo metabolizma i sistemnoye vospaleniye kak faktory razvitiya bolezney tsivilizatsii. Ukrayinskyi Medychnyi Chasopys. 2013; 5(97):103-8. [in Russian]
- Nikiforova OS, Delva MYu. Osoblyvosti klinichnoho perebihu ta prohresuvannya mihreni u patsiyentiv z abdominalnym ozhyrinnyam. Aktualni problemy suchasnoyi medytsyny. 2018; 2(62):75-9. [in Ukrainian]
- Bigal ME, Liberman JN, Lipton RB. Obesity and migraine: a population study. Neurology. 2006; 66:545-50. 2
- Bond DS, Roth J, Nash JM, Wing RR. Migraine and Obesity: Epidemiology, Possible Mechanisms, and the Potential Role of Weight Loss Treatment. Obesity Rev. 2011; 12(501):362-71.
- D’Andrea G, Leon A. Pathogenesis of migraine: from neurotransmitters to neuromodulators and beyond. Neurol Sci. 2010; 31(1):1–7.
- Ferrari A, Cicero A, Bertolini A, Leone S, Pasciullo G, Sternieri E. Need for analgesics/drugs of abuse: a comparison between headache patients and addicts by the Leeds Dependence Questionnaire (LDQ). Cephalalgia. 2006; 26(2):187-193.
- Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society. The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition. Cephalalgia 2018; 38(1):211.
- Lipton RB, Bigal ME, Ashina S, Burstein R, Silberstein S, Reed ML, et al. Cutaneous allodynia in the migraine population. Ann Neurol. 2008; 63(2):148-58.
- Maniyar FH, Sprenger T, Monteith T, Schankin C, Goadsby PJ. Brain activations in the premonitory phase of nitroglycerin triggered migraine attacks. Brain. 2014; 137:232-42.
- Robert C, Bourgeais L, Arreto CD, Condes-Lara M, Noseda R, Jay T, et al. Paraventricular hypothalamic regulation of trigeminovascular mechanisms involved in headaches. The Journal of neuroscience: the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience. 2013; 33(20):8827–40.
- Sarchielli P, Alberti A, Baldi A, Coppola F, Rossi C, Pierguidi L, et al. Proinflammatory cytokines, adhesion molecules, and lymphocyte integrin expression in the internal jugular blood of migraine patients without aura assessed ictally. Headache. 2006; 46:200-7.
- Schoonman GG, Evers DJ, Terwindt GM, van Dijk JG, Ferrari MD. The prevalence of premonitory symptoms in migraine: a questionnaire study in 461 patients. Cephalalgia Int J Headache. 2006; 26(10):1209-13.
- Stofkova A. Leptin and adiponectin: from energy and metabolic dysbalance to inflammation and autoimmunity. Endocr Regul. 2009; 43:157–68.
- Vos T, Flaxman A, Naghavi M. Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. The Lancet. 2013; 380(9859):2163-96.
- Zigmond AS, Snaith RP. The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983 Jun; 67(6):361–370.
|Publication of the article
||«World of Medicine and Biology» №3(69), 2019 year, 128-133 pages, index UDK 616.857-08