|About the author:
|Type of article
||The study involved 321 patients with a homozygous form of thalassemia and 382 somatically healthy individuals. For the objective evaluation of teeth hard tissues and oral hygiene, the following clinical tests were performed: Simplified Oral Hygiene Index (OHI-S) (Green J.C., Vermillion, J. R., 1960), index by Yu.A. Fedorov and V.V. Volodkinа (1971), DMFT index. Comparative analysis revealed a significant difference between the indices of the DMFT index and the index of OHİ-S in the groups. There was a tendency to deterioration of the hygienic index with advancing age of patients with thalassemia. The highest values were found in the group over the age of 18 (3.60±0.11). Thus, preventive dental care is a top priority for patients with β-thalassemia.
||β-thalassemia, oral hygiene, prevention of dental diseases, dental caries
- Akbarova G. Mutations of beta-globins gene in the population of Azerbaijan. In Abstracts book: X International Congress of Medical Sciences; 2011 May 12-15; Sofia, Bulgaria. 81 p.
- Asadov C. Genotype - Phenotype correlations of β-thalassemia mutations in Azerbaijani population. Turk J Haematol. 2017; 34: 258-263.
- Çalişkan UT, Tonguç M.Ö, Çiriş M. The investigation of gingival iron accumulation in thalassemia major patients. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. March 2011; 33(2): 98–102. doi: 10.1097/MPH.0b013e3182025058
- Colah R., Gorakshalar A., Nadlarni A. Global burden, distribution and prevention of β – thalassemias and hemoglobin E disorders. Expert Rev. Hematol. 2010; 3(1): 103 – 117.
- Dama SB, Dama LB. Prevalence of orofacial complications in thalassemic patients from Solapur. India DAV International J. of Science. 2013; 2(1): 60 – 64.
- Galanello R, Origa R. Beta – thalassemia. Orphanet J. Rare Dis. 2010; 5; 5 – 11.
- Gümüş P, Kahraman-Çeneli S, Akcali A, Sorsa T. Association of thalassemia major and gingival inflammation: A pilot study. Arch Oral Biol. 2016 Apr; 64:80-4.
- Gupta DK, Singh SP, Utreja A, Verma S. Prevalence of malocclusion and assessment of treatment needs in β-thalassemia major children. Progress in orthodontics. 2016; 17, 7. doi:10.1186/s40510-016-0120-6
- Hattab FN. Patterns of physical growth and dental development in Jordanian children and adolescents with thalassemia major. J Oral Sci. 2013 Mar; 55(1):71-7.
- Helmi N, Bashir M, Shireen A, Ahmed IM. Thalassemia review: features, dental considerations and management. Electron Physician. 2017; 9(3):4003–4008. doi:10.19082/4003
- Karayilmaz H, Yalçin-Erman H, Erken-Güngör Ö. Evaluation the oral hygiene conditions, oral Candida colonization and salivary Streptococcus mutans and Lactobacilli density in a group of β-thalassemic children and adolescence. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2019; 24 (6):e712-8.
- Manali A, Nayeemuddin S, Ghatak S. Growth impairment and dental caries in thalassemia major patients. Indian Journal of Clinical Anatomy and Physiology. 2014; 1(1): 15-21.
- Shadlinskaya R, Gasymova Z, Gasymov O. Cephalometric evaluation of patients with ß- thalassemia major living in Azerbaijan. Stomatologiya. 2019; 98(4):65-70. doi: 10.17116/stomat20199804165.
- Tirumala K, Rajajee S. Prevalence of dental caries, oral hygiene status, malocclusion status and dental treatment needs in thalassemic children A Cross sectional Study. Sch. Acad. J. Biosci. 2017; 5(1):41-46.
|Publication of the article
||«World of Medicine and Biology» №1(71), 2020 year, 141-145 pages, index UDK 616.31.006